Saturday, September 25, 2010

French Toast

The last time I had french toast was probably 7 or 8 years ago, back when I was still living with my host parents in Singapore. Kind-hearted Queen (it's the lady's real name!) was the cook at the house, plus she's responsible for quite a number of other tasks.

Doughnut French Toast
Anyway, french toast... I miss Queen's french toasts... They were ever so simple and humble, and quite unappreciated at that time. But somehow, her french toasts never failed to give this homey and warm feeling, especially when I had them on a rainy day... Actually, I miss Singapore and my host family a lot... They are like my second family, who faithfully and sincerely raised me since I was 9.



13 years later... french toast has become a luxury in my life -_-! No one at home makes 'em. So today, to Queen, my host family and Singapore! Nigella's Doughnut French Toast! I don't quite understand why she calls 'em doughnut french toast... But.. they're good :)

Doughnut French Toast, 1 Serving
Adapted from Food Network, Original recipe by Nigella Lawson

Ingredients:
1 egg
2 tbsp milk (I used soy milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 slice of stale bread, halved
1 tbsp butter, plus a drop of flavorless oil, for frying

Handful of macerated strawberries for garnish
Powdered sugar for dusting

Directions:
Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan/skillet, fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.
Put some macerated strawberries on top, and dust with powdered sugar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment