Saturday, November 6, 2010

Carbonara and a twist

Hehe... I am definitely not the best cook, but I think I'm starting to fall in love with it! <3 The reason why I don't cook as much as I bake is because my mom and maids would, on a daily basis, prepare meals for the whole family. Plus, it seems that no one is really supportive; they won't eat anything I cook... Not that they would eat the things I bake... Although they did love my gyozas. OH, speaking of which, my gyozas were awesome!! I dare say that cos my family loves 'em! :D I made spring rolls out of the leftover fillings too!

Anyhoo.. my mom and brother left me earlier tonight. Nothing to eat at home. PERFECT! cook cook cook! I  decided to cook pasta carbonara, although it was also tempting to have some mac 'n cheese. cheese... cheese.. oh I love cheese T^T


In attempt to make this dish healthier (hello, egg yolks, parmesan cheese and bacon?!), I added a little twist to the carbonara by adding sauteed diced tomatoes. In the end, I have to admit that the taste was a little off... I couldn't quite describe it well. But, overall, it had this goat cheese aftertaste, which... I.. was not really fond of.. I HATE goat cheese! In fact, I hate anything goat/lamb/mutton etc.They have such an awful odor :( You'll either love it or hate it. Just like the case with durians! Which I don't hate nor love... Okay, I kinda hate durians too =_=

Aaah! I always get sidetracked! I was talking about the sauteed tomatoes. I think that the reason why this dish failed was NOT because of the tomatoes. In fact, I think that the tomatoes added extra sweetness that complements the pasta. Instead, I believe that the mistake has to be burdened on the parmesan cheese! Bad, bad parmesan!


Pasta Carbonara, 1 serving

Ingredients:
1 serving of Spaghetti
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 pcs bacon, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
1 egg
4 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, beat the egg and parmesan cheese until they are well combined. Set aside.

2. Boil the Spaghetti in a pot of salted water. Time will vary. Follow the instructions on your pasta's package.

3. Meanwhile, heat a skillet. Add the olive oil and garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic. When you can smell the aroma of the garlic, add the diced bacons. As the bacons start to crisp up, add the diced tomatoes and sautee until they are softened, about 3 - 5 minutes.

4. Drain the pasta and transfer them into the skillet. With the heat on medium low, add the egg/cheese mixture and stir vigorously (do not let the egg cook/curdle). Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment